Built by Stark Industries and designed by Tony Stark, Dr. Reed Richards, and former X-Man Forge. In addition to housing wings of fighters and other aircraft, the Helicarrier bristles with advanced weaponry, including an intercontinental ballistic missile.
The first Helicarrier was proposed by Stark Industries as a political compromise among the signatories of the treaty in response to fears that any nation hosting the Directorate's main headquarters would be subject to attack by organizations such as HYDRA with domestic political fallout sure to follow immediately thereafter.
Constructed in secret there are at least eight Helicarriers have been built over the decades, and at least two have been in simultaneous service in the last decade on several occasions. Also, at least six Helicarriers have been named over the years:
- Luxor (not yet seen - a class prototype)
- Behemoth (smaller version used by SHIELD's Godzilla Squad)
- Hermes (allegedly scuttled after being hijacked by the Red Skull)
- Argus (a Luxor-class Helicarrier)
- Black Hawk (destroyed in action against HYDRA-Hand alliance)
- Pericles V (infiltrated by the vampiric Order of Tyrana and scuttled by Blade)
It is not yet known what criteria S.H.I.E.L.D. has used to name the Helicarriers.